Tuesday 4 August 2009

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street


Righty, so most of you have probably seen the Depp infested glittery, silver-screen version of this dark tale. I, however, have just this very eve returned from seeing the story told in a brilliant and most entertaining way.

A friend of mine said to me afterwards, when producing a play there are three important factors to remember for the audience; they have to understand, appreciate and enjoy what they have paid good money to see. All three were achieved and then some by the cast of Phoenix Rising Theatre Company in their first performance of a string of seven shows in six days.

Twelve hours of rehearsals a day, two and a quarter hour performance every evening under hot lights and judging audiences. I know I would never have the perseverance nor guts to do something like that, so already actors have my utmost respect. I was surprised and delighted to see one of my closest friends ,with no acting experience to speak of, get up on stage in full costume and make up to have his throat slit by Sweeney mere hours after meeting the cast.

OK then, firstly, this play is a musical, and from what I can tell a pretty demanding one vocally at some points. There were four actors from the performance that i felt particularly came across as strong confident singers; Sweeny, Mrs Lovett, Anthony and Joanna. The numbers range from lyrically powerful ballads about the death of Sweeney's wife, to Anthony and Joanna confessing their love, to Mrs Lovett and Sweeney cracking jokes about who's in the pies. Even the comedy pieces were well sung and actually understandable. Something I've found with musicals in the past is sometimes making out the words to most of the songs becomes to difficult to do, and thus the story too difficult to follow. I had never seen a play nor film of the Todd story and I understood everything perfectly.

Secondly, the immersion of the audience within the ballad of woe that is the story, "Attend the tale of Sweeney Todd, His skin was pale and his eye was odd" was a brilliant opening line. Now Phoenix Rising take no credit for the score nor the lyrics but i felt that warranted mentioning. The cast, on several occasions, walked amongst the audience, Sweeney offered me a shave (I declined) and i gave imaginary coins to a beggar-woman. This makes the play seem that little bit more accessible in my opinion. I was sat close to the stage but having actors walking amongst you does indeed add to the feeling of involvement.

Thirdly, the musical accompaniment, in the form of a subterranean twelve piece orchestra, was brilliant. The music to songs, the music between songs, the music whilst stage hands in steel-toed boots heft furniture around......all was very fitting and very elegantly played.

I honestly have nothing bad to say about this! I don't pretend to be a theatre critic (I have it on good authority and ACTUAL critic was present at this performance, I doubt he was disappointed!) but from the few plays I have seen this is certainly very high up the rankings. Bearing in mind it was produced, directed, acted, costumed, everything'ed by a cast and crew aged around 20. None too shabby.